The company offers genomic and transcriptomic services, performed in an ISO accredited lab, to support research, clinical trials and personalized medicine. Their customers rely on their expertise in RNA biomarker discovery, development and validation, their pioneering role in liquid biopsies and non-coding RNA, and their experience with clinical trials to accelerate the development of their diagnostics and therapeutics. Their service portfolio is built on state-of-the-art technologies such as RNA sequencing, high-throughput qPCR and digital PCR, all combined with advanced data analysis methods.
The company has taken up the role of COVID19-testing reference lab, as part of the federal framework consortium COVID- testing, being one of the federal testing labs in Belgium. Therefore, they are on the lookout for a lab manager for the Dx group.
As a lab manager, you will lead and coordinate the internal operations of the lab unit, oversee and plan lab resources, coach lab technicians, support on different levels by sharing expertise and knowledge and optimize the lab workflow. You should have an open eye for options beyond the project scope that provide interesting new operational synergies with the discovery lab. In addition, you will use all your strong people management and communication skills to the fullest, as you will be the key connection between many diverse profiles and colleagues: Quality - Project Management - Senior Management - Technicians - Senior Technicians - Fellow Lab Managers - External Partners.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Lead the COVID19 lab testing team (15-18p) and understand the lab workflow, the importance of correct testing, and guard the process time objectives.
• You are responsible for planning and organization of the resources, ad hoc problem solving, implementation of solutions and decision making for your assigned team in the wet lab.
• Set up coaching and training plans for your team.
• Work according to the internal lab standards (ISO 17025, GCLP guideline), follow and lead by example by applying the internal procedures, with assistance of the quality department.
• Ensure proper recordkeeping during all aspects of your activities and guarantee complete traceability by making adequate and timely registrations.
• Reporting to the COVID19 lab director.
• You work with the procurement manager to keep an eye on stock & supplies.
• You validate key orders in order to proactively secure the continuity of the lab.
• With your leadership skills, you can absorb and release stress away from the working floor.
Profile 1: a bachelor degree, with many years in the lab, climbed up to a lab manager level through experience and the right skills.
Profile 2: you have a master degree in bio(medical) or biotechnology sciences, with some years of experience in managing a team of lab technicians.
Profile 3: you have a master degree in bio(medical) or biotechnology sciences, combined with a PhD, with high affinity and ambition to start as a lab manager, as you gained people coaching skills during your PhD.
• Experience in working within a laboratory environment under a quality system.
• Experience in molecular biology and or qPCR (can be in another industry or academic field) are a strong plus.
• Good understanding of lab workflows, LIMS, lab automation, quality control, SOP’s.
• Excellent people management skills, able to inspire and motivate people under stress, having a high impact factor. Motivating people working in shifts.
• Proven planning, organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Able to handle multiple projects and changing priorities.
• Constructive mindset, you are a team player, helping teams to overcome roadblocks constructively.
• Driven, energetic, autonomous and proactive.
• Flexible : your schedule can fluctuate week by week and include evening or weekend work.
• Dutch as mother tongue is a plus, but fluency in English is a must (writing and speaking).